Monday, July 18, 2011

Will being diagnosed with bladder cancer force my dad to quit smoking?

My dad was just recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. While I am unaware of the precise severity of this, I do know that it will require a cystectomy. He has been an avid smoker since his teens, which likely increased his risks for developing this cancer. That got me to wondering. After the surgery, he is required to stay in the hospital for seven to ten days. Will they let him smoke in the hospital? Or will they essentially force him to quit as smoking is likely one of the things that got him there in the first place? His family (particularly his wife and myself) have been urging him to quit for decades now, but he has put it off. Will this finally force him to quit smoking? Anything helps! -J.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment